Sunday, July 06, 2008

A Garden Update

So, I have been avoiding writing this blog because of the sad state of said garden. I will say that this season has been a learning experience, and the peas and beans were good, and we might get some sunflower seeds! But overall, . . . I am just glad Florida has two growing seasons!
So here's the update:
-Bugs got the spinach - it is all gone! Not even stumps left!
-I'm not sure what is wrong with the corn. It is two feet high, and has stopped growing.
-The yellow peppers are still no larger than six inches (the plants - still no sign of flowers)
-The pumpkin and zucchini never gave fruit. They had lots of flowers, but I think the flowers closed up before the bees got to them - the flowers were only open for a few hours in the morning before it got too hot for them. By the time I realized this, they had stopped flowering.
-The tomatoes are finally tall enough to support tomatoes, but no sign of flowers there either.
-The sunflowers are bent almost to the ground. This is because of rain, hail, and the flowers themselves are so heavy. I think I can chop the heads off to dry tomorrow.
-The watermelon seedlings seem to be fine right now. But they are so small, I am not sure I will get anything from them this season.
-The cantaloupe seeds are sprouting. I hope it is not too hot for them to produce.
On the bright side, there are at least 10 limes on our tree!!! I found out that it is a bi-annual producer! So key limes twice a year sounds great!
I think I have decided the devastation of the garden is mostly due to the soil here. I will have to add something to it this next season, I think, to enhance the productivity.
But it isn't the end of the world to lose most of this crop. The complex found out it has lead paint issues on the front and back porches of all the buildings and has to come around and scrap it off and repaint. They had to hire a specialty company to remove the paint, and in so doing they are blocking off one side or the other of the buildings for a period of time. They originally said this would take a few days for each building, but they have spent the last three weeks on two buildings. At that rate, I would be unable to water the garden for about a month, so it would all die anyway - if they ever make it to our building!
So that is the garden update. Thank you for reading!

3 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

With gardening it seems that anything that can go wrong will. I have this *hopeful* thought that when the time comes that we actually need to eat from gardens or starve that the Lord will help our gardens grow and prevent people as well as bugs from destroying our produce (since we were faithful during times of prosperity).

8:47 PM  
Blogger Mom and Dad said...

You are right. Good soil and the right temperature for blooms are both a big deal. And bugs too. We only try tomatoes and peppers, although right now I have an herb garden that is really fun to eat.
MOM

8:35 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I am so sorry about the garden however I must tell you that I am super impressed that you even have a garden. I have good intentions of having one and start then I don't get very far. So kudos to you and the effort!!!:)

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home