Finding Friends
It has been really interesting over the years as we move from one place to the next, I never really seemed to keep track of any of my friends. I know this sounds bad, but you have to remember that I grew up in the same town from 2 1/2 until I turned 18. (Thanks Ruth for that cake you brought for my birthday while the moving crew was moving all of our stuff onto the truck to go to Atlanta.) When ever my siblings went away to college, they always came home to be with us for a holiday or something. They always seemed to catch up with their friends at that time. That is probably what I thought would happen when I left St. Louis, but I never came back, except for 2 times when we had cars break down there.
So now that I have lived in Rexburg, Provo, Texas, and Tallahassee (and Atlanta), I realize that I have not kept up with the people I would have liked to. I lost contact with many of them. I can say though that I have kept up with at least one person from half of the above mentioned areas,
my dear sweet wife. We met in Rexburg, met again and married in Provo, and have lived in Tallahassee (and Atlanta) together. Technically, we lived in Texas at the same time, but I was in Dallas and she was in McAllen (the southern part). We don't plan on stating in Tallahassee indefinitely, so we have other places to go too.
Friends are everywhere it seems. In the last few months, I have felt more of the need to reconnect with those people who have known me and who I am. Maybe it is part of the spirit of Elijah working on me to remember some of the connections that meant a lot to me in addition to my family and ancestors. I have found a lot of people. It has been good to reconnect with them. It is amazing to be able to look back and think that I felt lonely and slightly deprived of friends at times, but to realize that I had a great support base. I was not alone.
We went to the High Priest Quorum Meeting this last Friday night (it was our date for my wife's birthday.) I looked around and realized just how many of the people there I knew and on a first name basis no less. We were some of the younger ones there. It seems though that friendship transcends age. There were many friends there.
So, friends are everywhere, and I appreciate all of you. Most of all I appreciate my closest friends, my family.
It has been really interesting over the years as we move from one place to the next, I never really seemed to keep track of any of my friends. I know this sounds bad, but you have to remember that I grew up in the same town from 2 1/2 until I turned 18. (Thanks Ruth for that cake you brought for my birthday while the moving crew was moving all of our stuff onto the truck to go to Atlanta.) When ever my siblings went away to college, they always came home to be with us for a holiday or something. They always seemed to catch up with their friends at that time. That is probably what I thought would happen when I left St. Louis, but I never came back, except for 2 times when we had cars break down there.
So now that I have lived in Rexburg, Provo, Texas, and Tallahassee (and Atlanta), I realize that I have not kept up with the people I would have liked to. I lost contact with many of them. I can say though that I have kept up with at least one person from half of the above mentioned areas,
my dear sweet wife. We met in Rexburg, met again and married in Provo, and have lived in Tallahassee (and Atlanta) together. Technically, we lived in Texas at the same time, but I was in Dallas and she was in McAllen (the southern part). We don't plan on stating in Tallahassee indefinitely, so we have other places to go too.
Friends are everywhere it seems. In the last few months, I have felt more of the need to reconnect with those people who have known me and who I am. Maybe it is part of the spirit of Elijah working on me to remember some of the connections that meant a lot to me in addition to my family and ancestors. I have found a lot of people. It has been good to reconnect with them. It is amazing to be able to look back and think that I felt lonely and slightly deprived of friends at times, but to realize that I had a great support base. I was not alone.
We went to the High Priest Quorum Meeting this last Friday night (it was our date for my wife's birthday.) I looked around and realized just how many of the people there I knew and on a first name basis no less. We were some of the younger ones there. It seems though that friendship transcends age. There were many friends there.
So, friends are everywhere, and I appreciate all of you. Most of all I appreciate my closest friends, my family.

2 Comments:
Hey, I think it's pretty amazing that we are still in touch after over 12 years. I wonder where we'll be in another 12...
I have to agree with Miss Amy. I love that we keep up with each other. It makes me happy
Post a Comment
<< Home