Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Double Whopper and other thoughts

So, we have been having a nice visit from my wife's family. Her mom flew in and brought with her (unannounced of course) her brother who just got home from his mission. I have been studying while they are all playing tourist and horsey or something like that for the older 2 boys.

A few days ago, finally made a purchase of a new computer, a Dell order as needs would merit this time. We were anxious to get some dinner. There was some debate about how much RAM to get with this computer. The deal my wife was offering was more RAM meant going out for dinner. Well, going out for dinner didn't happen, but neither did the quad-core with 8 GB of RAM.

The apparent desire to eat out stayed with my wife though. Tradition would hold that her family eats out nearly once a day when they are traveling. So, while I was at school today, I guess a trip to Burger King was in order. There were coupons involved as I understand it. I came home to a Double Whopper waiting for me. I am accustomed to 1 Whopper Jr. or maybe 2 if I am really hungry. There was some thought to cutting the hamburger in half and only eating half of it, but a thrice re-warmed burger was extremely unappetizing. So, I ate the whole thing.

Thoughts returned me to the days of the bitter cold tundra like conditions of sand storms tinting the skies a notable color of khaki on blue followed by snow storms with skin piercing ice crystals blasting at every exposed part of flesh and the bottom of pants legs dyed red from the unmistakable rust colored snow slush mounded up along the side of the roads as the city snow plows first moved the snow, then covered the remaining with lava rock only to get crushed by cars, covered by snow, agitated more by car tires and folded over once more like a spatula through cake batter and sent off to the side of the road to make a topping for the previous layer of soft serve lava slush.

Rexburg in the Fall.

So, outside of the fair town on Rexburg there is this place which leaves a lasting impression on both the mind and waist-line, Big Jud's. They are home to the famous burger, the Big Jud. This burger is 1 lbs of beef on a bun with a full chef's salad a basket of home style fries on the side. A milkshake or drink is normally part of the meal. If you eat this whole meal, you get your picture on the wall with the seemingly thousands of others who had completed this gut fulling task. I would have easily finished this meal as a freshmen in college. I may have been able ot eat it as a junior in college. There was another wall in this place with only 5 or 6 pictures on it. It was for the Double Jud. This was the same meal but with a second 1 lbs meat patty. There were a few football player looking guys up there on that wall. One picture stood out, it was a lady pregnant with twins at the time.

Now as I enter into my 28th year of life, I would just like to make it clear that I can not eat like that anymore. It was not a pleseant experience. I don't think that I shall ever venture a double Whopper by myself again. It may be a good one to share, but not consume alone.

Oh, the kids are doing good. We are blessing Levi on Sunday. Pictures might come then.

4 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I love the idea of a thrice rewarmed burger. I'm afraid I won't eat a rewarmed burger at all. If its not good at room temp I can't stomach it. But when my kids experiment with leftovers I try to smile and not get grossed out - its healthy to be able to eat anything rewarmed.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

let the record show that while pregnant with twins I would NOT have been able to eat a Jud burger...double or otherwise

10:46 PM  
Blogger The Pagets in Florida said...

I guess that it must take come training. I see those professional eaters and wonder why anyone would do that to themselves. Ok. I did win a hamburger eating contest at Ricks, but I only had to eat 2 of them. They were free. Why would you turn that down? But as a college Freshmen I was able to eat like that. I am so glad that you were not able to eat like that Amy.

Megan, thanks for not making me feel bad about feeding my kids leftovers for lunch basically every day.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Chronic Illness survival said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home