Thursday, October 08, 2009

8 October 2009
Spoons

I know I haven't ranted here in a bit, so here is my spoon rant. It is really a utensil rant in general. We have successfully grown a pequin bush. To most Americans this would be known as a birds eye bush. It produces peppers. They are some of the best tasting peppers that we have had. They are small and red. They pack quite a punch though. They rank around a 4 on the 0-10 scale for heat. Jalepenos are like a 1-2 for reference. So, I decided to try one of these peppers. I haven't really had anything like this for 7 years or so. When I used to eat these on my mission, I could just drink some milk or something to help calm the heat in my mouth. No milk and low tolerance for heat means I needed to find a solution. There was the equivalence of a frozen raspberry smoothie in the freezer. That was my back up plan. So I popped one of these peppers into my mouth. It was hot as ever. I ate it and had a drink of water followed by a soothing cold treat to cover the spice.

So this is where the spoons come in. In preparation to cool my mouth, I asked my wife to reach into the dishwasher to pull out a spoon. She was kind enough to do this. She grabbed a metal spoon with a plastic handle like you would get at the dollar store. I knew that plastic handles and frozen treats do not mix well, so I asked her to get one that was all metal. As part of every flatware set, there seems to be 1 soup spoon. She managed to pull it out. It would have been great for scooping out the frozen treat, but I really wanted a thin slab to cover my whole tongue. I thanked here and dug down for a normal metal spoon. It worked great.

We were putting away the dishes later that night. I went to put away the utensils. There were probably 10 spoons, 3 forks and 1 knife to put away, aside from the 6 baby spoons. I couldn't exactly figure out at first why this seemed to odd to me except that the spoon holder was overflowing with spoons. Apparently a lot of spoons are used in our house. I don't really eat cereal because of the milk issue, so I don't really use spoons frequently. It was a little concerning that there was such a disparagy in the spoon to fork ratio. Does anyone else experience this, or is it just me?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

not just you, but I love cereal so in my case it's done on purpose

3:09 PM  
Blogger The Pagets in Florida said...

I guess I should invest in spoons. Sporks never seemed to really take off. The spoon-straw was always cool, but you could only seem to get them in the cereal box or from a DQ blizzard or the straw with the spoon scoop on the end in the Slurpie.

3:21 PM  
Blogger MJ/Mom/GrammaJ said...

Yup, everyone uses more spoons. You have to stir, scoop, measure, everything. Oh, and you should know that cold and milk are not what calms down the heat. Eat bread, or crackers. It works much better.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home