Counter
Have you ever been tempted to revert to the earliest part of this century and add a counter to your blog just to see how many views you are getting? Sometimes I wonder. This all started with my dear sweet wife going back to see her parents. We flew her out of ATL where the grandparents live. Before we left, we were sure to do everything we could to make sure that we were not going to waste electricity. We unplugged the internet, threw the switch on the home entertainment unit (somehow 8 plugs are all full), the water heater was switched off at the breaker, all the non-critical wall warts were unplugged, and the HVAC system was off. Fortunately, we knew that a hard freeze was unlikely. So, I thought before I left that we had turned off just about everything.
I thought that I should check the electric meter on the wall outside to see just how much energy we were really drawing away with the remaining few utilities like the microwave, phones, and refrigerator and deep freezer. I didn't do that of course because I was lazy or in a hurry. Either way, it didn't happen. Now, I want to know just how much energy was used by those appliances in the many days we were not there. I could have known definitely what that energy consumption was, but I failed to do my part to determine it. Now, I just have to look at the energy bill and try to figure out roughly what part of the consumption was during each of the periods. I will never know what that number would have been exactly, but I could guess.
Now, back to the counter on the blog. It is a page-view thing. It would sure be nice to be able to know how many people viewed the blog. The only indicator I have right now is that sometimes people comment. I remember a time when I got like 8 comments on one blog post. Blog heaven, you may say. So this returns to motivation. Am I more motivated by my own determination to blog or my desire to be acknowledged by the world. Since I keep a journal for myself, I would have to say it is for my desire to be acknowledged by the world. Though my somewhat private ways keep me from posting my life and thereby gain acknowledgement, I do enjoy a good comment every once in a while, not that I desperately need them, but rather would just like to know who still reads these.

5 Comments:
I have noticed that most people have stopped reading blogs much at all. I have found a way to print mine as a journal. So that is why I keep mine up. My Mom rarely comments anymore, that I found sad. We all need our mothers to comment :).
I think that is true. Mom's need to comment more often. One of my siblings used to print hers into a book, but not so much any more.
I read it. I always do several times. Nana
I'm reading away, and will continue to do so!
Of course, I understand a little about this post but will try cope with it!!….
-------------------------
Website design | Website design Adelaide | Website design Brisbane
Post a Comment
<< Home