Clean
I had the opportunity to help an elderly lady move in these past 2 days. I am not sure if I am just getting old or what, but I am beat. In total, about 17 feet of an ABF trailer (semi style) was emptied into a 2 bedroom apartment. Now, I have seen what is mght be like if I ever have to move. Lately, I have been on this cleaning-out binge. We said goodbye to the trumpet and trombone which were only pulled out twice in the last 4 years. Games we don't play and clothes have seen their way to new homes. Even appliances we don't really use have found new homes. Where does that leave us? With too much stuff. What do you do with it? There is really something to this being clean and organized, but at what cost? Do you get rid of the heirlooms of the practical. Is it bad that I still have my 8-track player I got at a garage sale when I was 13? It acts as a receiver for our stereo... so maybe not. It could even play 8-tracks, if I still had any (no, I don't want your stash). I know there is some amazing abilities in my family to fill every nook and cranny with something when filling a moving truck, but this shouldn't be something I am actively working at in my closet, where about 1/3 is used for clothes, the rest hides things from little hands. How do you stay in control and still feel clean? Any thoughts?
I had the opportunity to help an elderly lady move in these past 2 days. I am not sure if I am just getting old or what, but I am beat. In total, about 17 feet of an ABF trailer (semi style) was emptied into a 2 bedroom apartment. Now, I have seen what is mght be like if I ever have to move. Lately, I have been on this cleaning-out binge. We said goodbye to the trumpet and trombone which were only pulled out twice in the last 4 years. Games we don't play and clothes have seen their way to new homes. Even appliances we don't really use have found new homes. Where does that leave us? With too much stuff. What do you do with it? There is really something to this being clean and organized, but at what cost? Do you get rid of the heirlooms of the practical. Is it bad that I still have my 8-track player I got at a garage sale when I was 13? It acts as a receiver for our stereo... so maybe not. It could even play 8-tracks, if I still had any (no, I don't want your stash). I know there is some amazing abilities in my family to fill every nook and cranny with something when filling a moving truck, but this shouldn't be something I am actively working at in my closet, where about 1/3 is used for clothes, the rest hides things from little hands. How do you stay in control and still feel clean? Any thoughts?

5 Comments:
I don't have any thoughts to help...I used to be very sentimental and kept everything. now I am almost too practical and get rid of everything right away. but funny this should come up because today I picked up the toy car my son was playing with and noticed that I had written "Dec '97" on the bottom of it. I had a vague flashback of receiving this car from Aaron for Christmas? So this is one thing I am glad has stuck around through all the moving trucks. Adam was sure having a great time with it. :)and it made me smile to remember a good friend. thanks!
You must have wanted a car that year for your birthday. I don't even remember what it looked like. Knowing me though, it was probably hotwheels-esque.
A few question to ask: 1) have I used this in the last (2, 3, or more; whatever is comfortable for you) years? If the answer is "no", then ask 2) WILL I use this in the next (2, 3, etc.) years? This is different from COULD I use it, because if you ask yourself if you could conceivably use it for some purpose, the answer will always be yes, and nothing ever gets thrown out. Look at what you actually do with your life and what you will likely do in the future, and if the item doesn't fit into your pattern of life, I think it should go.
Sentimental things are harder to deal with, because often they serve no function other than to remind you of the past (that is, often you can't actually do much with them other than reminisce about them). I'm not saying it's bad to have such items, but you could ask how much they would really mean to you or your posterity 10, 20, or 50 years down the line.
On a side note, if you want to stay in the purging spirit, watch an episode of "Hoarders," which is a show about people who have a mental disability which causes them to hold onto WAY too much stuff; it's scary.
De-cluttering eh, that hoary old chestnut with which I am so familiar! My house has a tardis like quality to it. As soon as I have said goodbye to one generation's worth of ephemera and detritus the walls give forth of another load. Victorian bloomers, assorted crockery, fishing gear and music books ( 'Guilty, M.Lud!') they are all here. My theory is that the 'stuff' expands according to the space available. Note to self: Go live on a canal barge next!
I've been thinking a lot about decor items and how much room they take up. Jack is begging us to decorate for Halloween. I just don't want to store it all.
Post a Comment
<< Home