So, recently our children have had several very interesting conversations. All of them worth sharing.
The first helps me feel that teachings are sinking in!
I stopped by the school to drop off some birthday cupcakes, and caught the following part of the lesson:
Teacher: "What does 'extinct' mean?"
Student 1: "It means they die."
Teacher: "Who dies?"
Student 2: "All the animals die forever."
My son: "Until the resurrection."
I was very proud!
The next two conversataions show what a childs logic can do while developing.
First, again at school:
The students were supposed to take a sentence similar to the following and draw a picture with as much detail as possible to show what the sentence said.
"Jacklyn was picking apples in the orchard in the fall because they were ripe."
So, my son takes the paper and draws a beautiful apple tree. Then takes the picture up to his teacher and announces he is done.
Teacher: "You're not done."
My son: "Yes I am."
Teacher: "No, you're not. Jacklyn isn't in the picture."
My son: "Yes, she is."
Teacher: "No she isn't. I can't see her."
My son: "Yes, she is. She is behind the tree."
Then, after a few more minutes of arguing, she convinces my son to return to his desk and draw Jacklyn where everyone can see her.
Then, a few days later, at home, two of my sons were discussing whether my second could touch the first's legos.
First son: "No means no, and I said 'no.'"
Second son: "Yes means yes, and I said 'yes.'"
My husband eventually solved it by suggesting another activity altogether.
Kids are so funny and smart!
The first helps me feel that teachings are sinking in!
I stopped by the school to drop off some birthday cupcakes, and caught the following part of the lesson:
Teacher: "What does 'extinct' mean?"
Student 1: "It means they die."
Teacher: "Who dies?"
Student 2: "All the animals die forever."
My son: "Until the resurrection."
I was very proud!
The next two conversataions show what a childs logic can do while developing.
First, again at school:
The students were supposed to take a sentence similar to the following and draw a picture with as much detail as possible to show what the sentence said.
"Jacklyn was picking apples in the orchard in the fall because they were ripe."
So, my son takes the paper and draws a beautiful apple tree. Then takes the picture up to his teacher and announces he is done.
Teacher: "You're not done."
My son: "Yes I am."
Teacher: "No, you're not. Jacklyn isn't in the picture."
My son: "Yes, she is."
Teacher: "No she isn't. I can't see her."
My son: "Yes, she is. She is behind the tree."
Then, after a few more minutes of arguing, she convinces my son to return to his desk and draw Jacklyn where everyone can see her.
Then, a few days later, at home, two of my sons were discussing whether my second could touch the first's legos.
First son: "No means no, and I said 'no.'"
Second son: "Yes means yes, and I said 'yes.'"
My husband eventually solved it by suggesting another activity altogether.
Kids are so funny and smart!

1 Comments:
Jack today told me I said a bad word. Meaning that I forget to say please when I asked him to get off me.
Post a Comment
<< Home