Sunday, January 20, 2008

Four days with out repeating yourself sounds difficult. It is even more difficult when you are talking about food. So, in order to restore some order to my bodily processes, we are going on a diet I did right after my mission when I was trying to diagnose my lactose intolerancy. The premise behind the diet is you eliminate 7 common allergens from your diet. These include milk, wheat, eggs, soy, yeast, corn, and cane sugar. All of you Americans may realize that you could never go to McDonalds again based on that diet. Some may think that twinkies and chocolate are still ok, but they aren't. "What does this do?" you may ask.

Well, the idea is that you don't repeat any of the rest of the foods in the world within 4 days. We have a rotation of ingredients we can use each of the 4 days. It is not impossible to live like this though. In fact, I think it rather inventive.

After 21 days of this diet, you start to re-introduce the different foods into your diet one by one to see which one adversely affects you. This will allow you to have a baseline to compare to against the new food. It is kind of scientific, except your body is always evolving anyway, and you introduce the new foods on consecutive days. If one food makes you sick, you will know, but not have time to re-stabilize yourself before introducing the next food.

When I returned from my mission, I knew that milk was probably a no-no on my list of things that were still good for me. I went on this diet. When it came time to reintroduce milk into my diet, I decided to make myself a milk shake. I even used goats milk... I don't know why I chose that, but it was nice and frothy. It made me sick. Later on, I was able to confirm this with a lactose intolerancy test from a doctor.

So, here we go again. For all of you who are thinking that I am going to die, I have to say I probably could still survive with a few less calories in my diet since I have to sit at a computer most of the day at school. But for those of you incredulous people out there, here is our basic outline for those days.

Day 1-based on Beef

Breakfast
Millet cereal (kind of like cracked wheat)
Honey
banana

Lunch
Roast Beef
Millet bread

Dinner
Roast
Stew
Steak
celery
carrots
onion
peaches

Day 2-based on Fish

Breakfast
Rice cereal
Rice Dream
strawberries
raspberries

Lunch
rice cakes
tuna on rice bread
Salad

Dinner
Tuna Steaks
Tuna with rice
vegetable medley
sushi
tuna casserole with rice
Hawaiian haystacks
peas
seaweed wraps
lettuce
pineapple
cashews

Day 3-based on poultry

Breakfast
oatmeal cereal
blueberries
apples

Lunch
turkey on oat bread

Dinner
Baked chicken
stuffed zuccini
grilled chicken
green beans
garlic
chili

Day 4-based on pork

Breakfast
rye or spelt toast or pancakes
Bacon
Maple syrup
blackberries

Lunch
ham on rye or spelt bread

Dinner
steak/pork chops
stir fry
ribs
roast
pulled pork
potatoes
broccoli
bell peppers

Today is day 3 in the cycle. We will try to keep you (our commenting and faithful readers) updated with new recipe ideas that come from this and what didn't work... like rice bread... it ended up in the trash by unanimous vote... it tasted like eating raw brown rice with a texture similar to sand. Here we go.

6 Comments:

Blogger Floyd said...

Wow that is very interesting. All I ate today was:

-Rice Chex (in whole milk)
-Some Peanut M&Ms I found in my suit pocket
-a goldfish or two I stole from Solei
-3 raisins stolen from Solei
-2 slices of bread with Nutella on them
-Roasted Chicken
-Potatoes, onions, carrots
-Fresh Baked Rolls
-Stuffing
-a corndog
-Spagetti-o-s (name brand with meatballs)
-Water

I'm probably not done eating yet, so I'll post the rest later.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Mom and Dad said...

This diet is actually called "Dr. Berger's Immune Power Diet". It works wonders.
When the 21 days are over and you re-introduce foods, you need to space it by 2 days. The Gastroenterologist preferred spacing it by 5 days, but 2 works too.
So, what is Floyd's diet called?

9:05 PM  
Blogger Floyd said...

-Hot Chocolate.

That's not really a food, but I added nutella to mine, so it's kinda a food.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I am just curious to know whether you have been able to determine if any of your kids have the same allergies or if they are in the clear.

9:41 PM  
Blogger The Pagets in Florida said...

I didn't get sick until my mission... then the lactose intolerancy set it. Chocolate wasn't a problem for my wife until she was 13 or so. Before then, we ate everything except those things we shouldn't have anyway. The kids are just picky.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sorry- I'm no help. I eat everything and anything. (ok, don't take that too literally)

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home